Fashion week kicks off at MiN on the 14th May with our swishing event with a difference - The Fabric Swap. This event is aimed at 'haberdashery hoarders' and 'fabric fetishists' (of which i know there are plenty of you out there). It will offer the chance to exchange fabrics sitting aimlessly in the back of your wardrobe for something fresh for you to create your next fashion masterpiece with.
As well as being a great opportunity to swap crafty items with fellow enthusiasts it will also be a fund-raising event for Made in Newcastle so all the money made from the event will go directly towards keeping the MiN project alive. ***Due to space in the shop this event will be limited to 25 people on a 1st come 1st get in basis - so it will not be a ticketed event.***
So how does it work? Read on...
1. Swappers will need to arrive between 12noon to 12.30 with their swag.
Once 25 people are reached further swappers will be declined. However we may have a further event if this proves to be popular.
2. Cost: Entry is £2 this includes a 1 *bag allowance to swap. After entry price it will be an additional £1 per extra bag - each swapper can bring and take away up to 4 bags each.
*Bag = an average sized carrier bag to be provided by MIN on the day.
3. Swappers items will be taken by the MiNions and divied up into the MiN provided *bags to ensure quantities are equal and that people take away the same amount as they bring, so it is fair for everyone. 1 bag is worth 1 token and the equivalent amount of tokens will be given to each swapper.
4. Swappers are then asked to return at 1.00pm to allow MiNnies time to organise the items into categories- i.e. fabric, buttons etc.
5. The fun bit. On return at 1pm each swapper is given empty *bag(s) in exchange for their token(s). Swappers are then all allowed into the 'swap zone' (gallery space) at same time & can fill their bags. NO FIGHTING PLEASE!! :)
Allowed swap items:
- Fabric any type (cotton, etc). Fabric scraps -bundle together & no smaller than 7 x 7ins
- Threads (embroidery, sewing)