Thursday 30 December 2010

Lucie Harris at Made in Newcastle

Made in Newcastle welcomes Lucie Harris to our Exhibition space...

In her own words, Lucie explains her creative process:

I studied Painting at the Slade School of Fine Art (1990-1994) and then completed an MA at the University of Northumbria. (1995-1997)

This work is inspired by celebrities and fed by my addiction to magazines. I am fascinated by the surface of these images and what lies behind the carefully made up faces. I went through an especially intense Grazia period. I picked out iconic images of women we love to look at and who intrigue me about their interior lives. I use a range of materials including oil paints, watercolours and felt tip pens. I am inspired by artists Elizabeth Peyton, Stella Vine, Alice Neel, Lucian Freud and Chaim Soutine.

No comments:

Post a Comment